It’s time to do all you can to stay healthy.
Now more than ever it makes sense to help your immune system do its job of preventing illness and healing infections. It’s easy to boost immunity with these healthy habits:
- Start with basic hygiene. Wash your hands for 20 seconds, don’t touch your face and take social distancing seriously. If that’s all you do, you’ll be well on your way to staying healthy.
- Eat healthy. Choose a diet high in fruits and vegetables and maintain a healthy weight. Take a daily multivitamin and mineral supplement to fill in any gaps missing in your diet.
- Exercise regularly. Aim for 30+ minutes a day (see tips below). And try to reduce sitting time, which can negatively impact overall health.
- Reduce and manage stress. Even low levels of stress can increase your body’s cortisol level, which reduces immunity. Practice relaxation techniques, like meditation, deep breathing, or prayer.
- Make sleep a priority. Most healthy adults need between 7 and 9 hours of sleep per night to function at their best.
- Don’t smoke. If you do smoke, quit with help from Quit For Life, provided by the Trust at no cost to you. To get started, call 1-866-QUIT-4-LIFE (1-866-784-8454) or go to quitnow.net.
- If you drink, be responsible. Limit it to 1 drink per day for women and 2 drinks per day for men.
- Keep smiling. Positive thoughts reduce stress and increase resilience, while negative emotions can make you more susceptible to infection.